Lingua Terrae Books catalogue: Geological Society of America
Geological Society of
Special Papers & Memoirs
Harpel, Christopher J.,
Shanaka de Silva & Guido Salas -
The 2 ka Eruption of Misti Volcano, Southern Peru—The Most Recent Plinian Eruption of Arequipa’s Iconic Volcano. -
2007. Geological Society of America Special Paper 484; 72 pp., many fig./phot. Paperback, very good, as new, 4to. € 15
Ilya V. Buynevich, Valentina Yanko-Hombach, Allan S. Gilbert, and Ronald E. Martin (eds.) -
Geology and geoarchaeology of the Black Sea region: Beyond the flood hypothesis. -
2011. Geol. Soc. America, Special Paper 473; 196 pp., many fig./phot., some col.
Paperback, very good, as new, 4to. € 25
Gibson, L. & W.U Reimold (eds.)
Large meteorite impacts and planetary evolution IV.
2010. Geol. Soc. Amer. Spec. Paper 465; 660 pp. numerous fig./phot. some col. Paperback, as new, 4to.
Introduction - Gianluca Groppelli and Lothar Viereck-Goettev
1. Stratigraphic approach to geological mapping of the
late Quaternary volcanic
2. A new geological map of
3. Application of unconformity-bounded stratigraphic
(UBS) units to the geological survey of the volcanic island Ustica (
4. Integrated approach for the reconstruction of
stratigraphy and geology of Quaternary volcanic terrains: An application to the
Vulsini Volcanoes (central
5. Revised volcanostratigraphy of the Upper Miocene to
Lower Pliocene Ürgüp Formation, Central Anatolian volcanic province,
6. Resolving problems with the origin of Las Cañadas
7. Ignimbrite stratigraphy and chronology on Terceira Island, Azores - Ralf Gertisser, Stephen Self, João L. Gaspar, Simon P. Kelley, Adriano Pimentel, Jost Eikenberg, Tiffany L. Barry, José M. Pacheco, Gabriela Queiroz, and Marika Vespa - 133
8. The stratigraphic signature of volcanism off Campi
9. Stratigraphy and volcanological evolution of the southwestern sector of Campi Flegrei and Procida Island, Italy - Annamaria Perrotta, Claudio Scarpati, Giuseppe Luongo, and Vincenzo Morra - 171
10. Volcanological and structural evolution of the Ischia resurgent caldera (Italy) over the past 10 k.y. - Sandro de Vita, Fabio Sansivero, Giovanni Orsi, Enrica Marotta, and Monica Piochi - 193
11. 40Ar/39Ar radiometric dating to constrain the volcanic stratigraphy: The Mt. Etna methodological case - Emanuela De Beni and Gianluca Groppelli - 241
12. Geologic mapping of the Colima volcanic complex (
13. Mapping and assessing volcanic and flood hazards
and risks, with emphasis on lahars, in
14. Probabilistic digital hazard maps for avalanches and massive pyroclastic flows using TITAN2D - Michael F. Sheridan, Abani K. Patra, Keith Dalbey, and Bernard Hubbard - 281
Draut, Amy E., Peter D. Clift & David W. Scholl (eds.) -
Formation and Applications of the Sedimentary Record in Arc Collision Zones. -
2008. geological Society of America Special Paper 436; 403 pp., numerous fig./phot. Paperback, very good, as new, 4to.
Preface - v
1. - Preservation of forearc basins during island arc–continent collision: Some insights - from the Ordovician of western Ireland - Paul D. Ryan - 1
2. - Basin formation by volcanic arc loading - Dave Waltham, Robert Hall, Helen R. Smyth, and Cynthia J. Ebinger - 11
3. - Cenozoic arc processes in Indonesia: Identification of the key influences on the - stratigraphic record in active volcanic arcs - Robert Hall and Helen R. Smyth - 27
4. - Carbonate-platform facies in volcanic-arc settings: Characteristics and controls on - deposition and stratigraphic development - Steven L. Dorobek - 55
5. - Sediment waves in the Bismarck Volcanic Arc, Papua New Guinea - Gary Hoffmann, Eli Silver, Simon Day, Eugene Morgan, Neal Driscoll, and Daniel Orange - 91
6. - The Lichi Mélange: A collision mélange formation along early arcward backthrusts - during forearc basin closure, Taiwan arc-continent collision - Chi-Yue Huang, Chih-Wei Chien, Bochu Yao, and Chung-Pai Chang - 127
7. - Oblique subduction in island arc collision setting: Unique sedimentation, accretion, - and deformation processes in the Boso TTT-type triple junction area, NW Pacific - Yujiro Ogawa, Yoshihiro Takami, and Sakiko Takazawa - 155
8. - The West Crocker formation of northwest Borneo: A Paleogene accretionary prism - Joseph J. Lambiase, Tan Yaw Tzong, Amelia G. William, Michael D. Bidgood, Patrice Brenac, - and Andrew B. Cullen - 171
9. - Temporal changes in the composition of Miocene sandstone related to collision - between the Honshu and Izu arcs, central Japan - Koichi Okuzawa and Ken-ichiro Hisada - 185
10. - Cenozoic volcanic arc history of East Java, Indonesia: The stratigraphic record - of eruptions on an active continental margin - Helen R. Smyth, Robert Hall, and Gary J. Nichols - 199
11. - New constraints on the sedimentation and uplift history of the Andaman-Nicobar - accretionary prism, South Andaman Island - R. Allen, A. Carter, Y. Najman, P.C. Bandopadhyay, H.J. Chapman, M.J. Bickle, E. Garzanti, - G. Vezzoli, S. Andò, G.L. Foster, and C. Gerring - 223
12. - Post-collisional collapse in the wake of migrating arc-continent collision in the - Ilan Basin, Taiwan - Peter D. Clift, Andrew T.S. Lin, Andrew Carter, Francis Wu, Amy E. Draut, T.-H. Lai, L.-Y. Fei, - Hans Schouten, and Louis Teng - 257
13. - The Guerrero Composite Terrane of western Mexico: Collision and subsequent - rifting in a supra-subduction zone - E. Centeno-Garcia, M. Guerrero-Suastegui, and O. Talavera-Mendoza - 279
14. - Tectonic architecture of an arc-arc collision zone, Newfoundland Appalachians - Alexandre Zagorevski, Cees R. van Staal, Vicki McNicoll, Neil Rogers, and Pablo Valverde-Vaquero - 309
15. - The Catalina Schist: Evidence for middle Cretaceous subduction erosion of - outhwestern North America - M. Grove, G.E. Bebout, C.E. Jacobson, A.P. Barth, D.L. Kimbrough, R.L. King, Haibo Zou, - O.M. Lovera, B.J. Mahoney, and G.E. Gehrels - 335
16. - Sedimentary response to arc-continent collision, Permian, southern Mongolia - C.L. Johnson, J.A. Amory, D. Zinniker, M.A. Lamb, S.A. Graham, M. Affolter, and G. Badarch - 363
17. - Links among mountain building, surface erosion, and growth of an accretionary - prism in a subduction zone — An example from southwest Japan - Gaku Kimura, Yujin Kitamura, Asuka Yamaguchi, and Hugues Raimbourg - 391
Ulf Linnemann, R. Damian Nance, Petr Kraft, and Gernold Zulauf (Editors)
The Evolution of the Rheic Ocean: From Avalonian-Cadomian Active Margin to Alleghenian-Variscan Collision
2007. Geological Society of America Special Paper 423; 630 pp., many fig./phot. Paperback, very good, as new, 4to.
1.The assembly of West Gondwana—The view from the Rio de la Plata craton
- Kerstin Saalmann, Léo A. Hartmann, and Marcus V.D. Remus - 1
2.Geodynamic evolution of the northwestern Paleo-Gondwanan margin in the Moroccan Atlas at the Precambrian-Cambrian boundary - Andre Pouclet, Abdellatif Aarab, Abdelilah Fekkak, and Mohammed Benharre - f27
3.The continuum between Cadomian orogenesis and opening of the Rheic Ocean: Constraints from LA-ICP-MS U-Pb zircon dating and analysis of plate-tectonic setting (Saxo-Thuringian zone, northeastern Bohemian Massif, Germany) - Ulf Linnemann, Axel Gerdes, Kerstin Drost, and Bernd Buschmann - 61
4.The Lausitz graywackes, Saxo-Thuringia, Germany—Witness to the Cadomian orogeny - Helga Kemnitz - 97
5.Paleontological data from the Early Cambrian of Germany and paleobiogeographical implications for the configuration of central Perigondwana - Olaf Elicki - 143
6.The Variscan orogeny in the Saxo-Thuringian zone—Heterogenous overprint of Cadomian/Paleozoic Peri-Gondwana crust - U. Kroner, T. Hahn, Rolf L. Romer, and Ulf Linnemann - 153
7.Far Eastern Avalonia: Its chronostratigraphic structure revealed by SHRIMP zircon ages from Upper Carboniferous to Lower Permian volcanic rocks (drill cores from Germany, Poland, and Denmark) - Christoph Breitkreuz, Allen Kennedy, Marion Geißler, Bodo-Carlo Ehling, Jürgen Kopp, Andrzej Muszynski, Aleksander Protas, and Svend Stouge - 173
8.Nd-Sr-Pb isotopic signatures of Neoproterozoic–Early Paleozoic siliciclastic rocks in response to changing geotectonic regimes: A case study from the Barrandian area (Bohemian Massif, Czech Republic) - Kerstin Drost, Rolf L. Romer, Ulf Linnemann, Oldøich Fatka, Petr Kraft, and Jaroslav Marek - 191
9.The diversity and geodynamic significance of Late Cambrian (ca. 500 Ma) felsic anorogenic magmatism in the northern part of the Bohemian Massif: A review based on Sm-Nd isotope and geochemical data - Christian Pin, R. Kryza, T. Oberc-Dziedzic, S. Mazur, K. Turniak, and Jarmila Waldhausrová - 209
10.Sm-Nd isotope and trace element study of Late Proterozoic metabasalts (“spilites”) from the Central Barrandian domain (Bohemian Massif, Czech Republic) - Christian Pin and Jarmila Waldhausrová - 231
11.Structural evolution of the Prague synform (Czech Republic) during Silurian times: An AMS, rock magnetism, and paleomagnetic study of the Svatý Jan pod Skalou dikes. Consequences for the nappes emplacement - Tahar Aïfa, Petr Pruner, Martin Chadima, and Petr Štorch - 249
12.Cadomian and Variscan metamorphic events in the Léon domain (Armorican Massif, France): PT data and EMP monazite dating - Bernhard Schulz, Erwin Krenn, Fritz Finger, Helene Brätz, and Reiner Klemd - 267
13.U-Pb depositional age for the upper Barrios Formation (Armorican Quartzite facies) in the Cantabrian zone of Iberia: Implications for stratigraphic correlation and paleogeography - Gabriel Gutiérrez-Alonso, Javier Fernández-Suárez, Juan Carlos Gutiérrez-Marco, Fernando Corfu, J. Brendan Murphy, and Mercedes Suárez - 287
14.Contrasting mantle sources and processes involved in a peri-Gondwanan terrane: A case study of pre-Variscan mafic intrusives from the autochthon of the Central Iberian Zone - Miguel López-Plaza, Mercedes Peinado, Francisco-Javier López-Moro, M. Dolores Rodríguez-Alonso, Asunción Carnicero, M. Piedad Franco, Juan Carlos Gonzalo, and Marina Navidad - 297
15.Tectonic evolution of the upper allochthon of the Órdenes complex (northwestern Iberian Massif): Structural constraints to a polyorogenic peri-Gondwanan terrane - Juan Gómez Barreiro, José R. Martínez Catalán, Ricardo Arenas, Pedro Castiñeiras, Jacobo Abati, Florentino Díaz García, and Jan R. Wijbrans - 315
16.Crustal growth and deformational processes in the northern Gondwana margin: Constraints from the Évora Massif (Ossa-Morena zone, southwest Iberia, Portugal) - M. Francisco Pereira, J. Brandão Silva, Martim Chichorro, Patrícia Moita, José F. Santos, Arturo Apraiz, and Cristina Ribeiro - 333
17.The Lower–Middle Cambrian boundary in the Mediterranean subprovince - Rodolfo Gozalo, Eladio Liñán, María Eugenia Dies Álvarez, José Antonio Gámez Vintaned, and Eduardo Mayoral - 359
18.Avalonian and Baltican terranes in the Moesian Platform (southern Europe, Romania, and Bulgaria) in the context of Caledonian terranes along the southwestern margin of the East European craton - Martin S. Oczlon, Antoneta Seghedi, and Charles W. Carrigan - 375
19.Crete and the Minoan terranes: Age constraints from U-Pb dating of detrital zircons - G. Zulauf, S.S. Romano, W. Dörr, and J. Fiala - 401
20.Geological evolution of middle to late Paleozoic rocks in the Avalon
terrane of northern mainland Nova Scotia, Canadian Appalachians: A record of
tectonothermal activity along the northern margin of the Rheic Ocean in the
Appalachian-Caledonide orogen -
J. Brendan Murphy - 413
21.Vestige of the Rheic Ocean in North America: The Acatlán Complex of southern México - R. Damian Nance, Brent V. Miller, J. Duncan Keppie, J. Brendan Murphy, and Jaroslav Dostal - 437
22.Provenance of the Granjeno Schist, Ciudad Victoria, México: Detrital zircon U-Pb age constraints and implications for the Paleozoic paleogeography of the Rheic Ocean - R. Damian Nance, Javier Fernández-Suárez, J. Duncan Keppie, Craig Storey, and Teresa E. Jeffries - 453
23.Ordovician calc-alkaline granitoids in the Acatlán Complex, southern México: Geochemical and geochronologic data and implications for the tectonics of the Gondwanan margin of the Rheic Ocean - Brent V. Miller, Jaroslav Dostal, J. Duncan Keppie, R. Damian Nance, Amabel Ortega-Rivera, and James K.W. Lee - 465
24.Ordovician–Devonian oceanic basalts in the Cosoltepec Formation, Acatlán Complex, southern México: Vestiges of the Rheic Ocean? - J. Duncan Keppie, Jaroslav Dostal, and Mariano Elías-Herrera - 477
25.P-T-t constraints on exhumation following subduction in the Rheic Ocean from eclogitic rocks in the Acatlán Complex of southern México - Matt Middleton, J. Duncan Keppie, J. Brendan Murphy, Brent V. Miller, R. Damian Nance, Amabel Ortega-Rivera, and James K.W. Lee - 489
26.Life and death of a Cambrian–Ordovician basin: An Andean three-act play featuring Gondwana and the Arequipa-Antofalla terrane - Sven O. Egenhof - f511
27.A Late Ordovician ice sheet in South America: Evidence from the Cancañiri tillites, southern Bolivia - Frank Schönian and Sven O. Egenhoff - 525
28.Sedimentary basins in the southwestern Siberian craton: Late Neoproterozoic–Early Cambrian rifting and collisional events - Julius Konstantinovich Sovetov, Anna Evgen’evna Kulikova, and Maxim Nikolaevich Medvedev - 549
29.Aluminum phosphate in Proterozoic metaquartzites: Implications for the Precambrian oceanic P budget and development of life - Giulio Morteani, Dietrich Ackermand, and Jörg Trappe - 579
Index - 593
Arribas, José, Mark J. Johnsson & Salvatore Critelli (eds.) - Sedimentary Provenance and Petrogenesis: Perspectives from Petrography and Geochemistry.
2008. Geological Society of America Special Paper 420; 379 pp., many fig./phot. Paperback, very good, as new, 4to.
Preface - v
1. - Comparison of river and beach sand composition with source rocks, Dolomite Alps drainage basins, northeastern Italy - M. Dane Picard and Earle F. McBride - 1
2. - Cyclic variations in sediment provenance from late Pleistocene deposits of the eastern Po Plain, Italy - Alessandro Amorosi, Maria Luisa Colalongo, Enrico Dinelli, Federico Lucchini, and Stefano Claudio Vaiani - 13
3. - Geochemical and mineralogical proxies for grain size in mudstones and siltstones from the Pleistocene and Holocene of the Po River alluvial plain, Italy - Enrico Dinelli, Fabio Tateo, and Vito Summa - 25
4. - Petrography of Paleogene turbiditic sedimentation in northeastern Italy - Cristina Stefani, Massimiliano Zattin, and Paolo Grandesso - 37
5. - Alluvial sand composition as a tool to unravel late Quaternary sedimentation of the Modena Plain, northern Italy - Stefano Lugli, Simona Marchetti Dori, and Daniela Fontana - 57
6. - Geochemistry and petrography of Western Tethys Cretaceous sedimentary covers (Corsica and Northern Apennines): From source areas to configuration of margins - Laura Bracciali, Michele Marroni, Luca Pandolfi, and Sergio Rocchi - 73
7. - Petrographic analysis in regional geology interpretation: Case history of the Macigno (northern Apennines) - Piero Bruni, Enrico Pandeli, and Massimo Nebbiai - 95
8. - Interpreting siliciclastic-carbonate detrital modes in foreland basin systems: An example from Upper Miocene arenites of the central Apennines, Italy - Salvatore Critelli, E Le Pera, F Galluzzo, S Milli, M Moscatelli, S Perrotta, and M Santantonio - 107
9. - Interpreting gypsarenites in the Rossano basin (Calabria, Italy): A contribution to the characterization of the Messinian salinity crisis in the Mediterranean - Mirko Barone, Rocco Dominici, and Stefano Lugli - 135
10. - The onset of the sedimentary cycle in a mid-latitude upland environment: Weathering, pedogenesis, and geomorphic processes on plutonic rocks (Sila Massif, Calabria) - Fabio Scarciglia, Emilia Le Pera, and Salvatore Critelli - 149
11. - Interpreting carbonate particles in modern continental sands: An example from fluvial sands (Iberian Range, Spain) - M.E. Arribas and J. Arribas - 167
12. - Provenance discrimination of Lower Cretaceous synrift sandstones (eastern Iberian Chain, Spain): Constraints from detrital modes, heavy minerals, and geochemistry - M.A. Caja, R. Marfil, M. Lago, R. Salas, and K. Ramseyer - 181
13. - Significance of geochemical signatures on provenance in intracratonic rift basins: Examples from the Iberian plate - M. Ochoa, M.E. Arribas, J. Arribas, and R. Mas - 199
14. - Complex examination of the Upper Paleozoic siliciclastic rocks from southern Transdanubia, SW Hungary—Mineralogical, petrographic, and geochemical study - Andrea Varga, G. Szakmány, T. Árgyelán, S. Józsa, B Raucsik, and Z Máthé - 221
15. - First-cycle sandstone composition and color of associated fine-grained rocks as an aid to resolve Gondwana stratigraphy in peninsular India - Prodip K. Dutta - 241
16. - Sand and gravel provenance in the Waipaoa River system: Sedimentary recycling in an actively deforming forearc basin, North Island, New Zealand - Dawn E. James, Alissa M. DeVaughn, and Kathleen M. Marsaglia - 253
17. - The petrology and provenance of sand in the Bounty submarine fan, New Zealand - Shawn A. Shapiro, Kathleen M. Marsaglia, and Lionel Carter - 277
18. - Sediment sources of beach sand from the southern coast of the Baja California peninsula, Mexico—Fourier grain-shape analysis - J.M. Murillo-Jiménez, William Full, E.H. Nava-Sánchez, V. Camacho-Valdéz, and A. León-Manilla - 297
19. - Detrital apatite geochemistry and its application in provenance studies - Andrew Morton and Greg Yaxley - 319
20. - Predicting sand character with integrated genetic analysis - William A. Heins and Suzanne Kairo - 345
Index - 381
ENZEL, Y., A. AGNON & M. STEIN (EDS.)
New Frontiers in Dead Sea Paleoenvironmental Research.
2006. Geol. Soc. America Spec. Pap. 401; 253 pp. numerous fig./phot. Paperback, very good, 4to.
Kenkman, TH. et al. (eds.) - Large meteorite impacts III. - 2005. Geol. Soc. Amer. Spec. Paper 384; 476 pp. numerous fig./phot. some col. Collection of 26 papers. Paperback, as new, 4to. € 30
Velichko, A.A. & V.P. Nechaev
Cenozoic climatic and environmental changes in Russia.
2005. Geological Society of America Special Paper 382; 226 pp., many fig. Paperback, very good, as new, 4to.
CHAN, M.J. & A.W. ARCHER (EDS.)
Extreme depositional environments: Mega end members in geologic time.
2003. Geol. Soc. America, Spec. paper 370; 281 pp. numerous fig./phot. Paperback, 4to, as new.
DIAZ GARCIA, F. ET AL. (EDS.)
Variscan-Appalachian dynamics: The building of the late Paleozoic basement.
2002. Geol. Soc. America Spec. Pap. 364; 312 pp. numerous fig./phot. Orig. illustr. wrps. very good, 4to.
BYRNE, T.B. & CHAR-SHINE LIU (EDS)
Geology and geophysics of an arc-continent collision, Taiwan.
2002. Geol. Soc. Amer. Spec. Paper 358; 211 pp. numerous fig./phot. Paperback, as new, 4to.
SNOKE, A.W. ET AL.
Petrologic and structural history of Tobago, West Indies. A fragment of the accreted Mesozoic oceanic arc of the southern Caribbean.
2001. Geol. Soc. Amer. Spec. Paper 354; 54 pp. 29 fig./phot. 4 fold. plts. in pocket, incl. col. geol. map. Paperback, as new, 4to.
DONGXIAO ZHANG & C. LARRY WINTER (EDS.)
Theory, modelling, and field investigation in hydrogeology.
2000. Geol. Soc. Amer. Spec. Paper 348; 245 pp. numerous figs. 7 col. plts. Contents available on request. Paperback, as new, 4to.
BARBARIN, B. ET AL. (EDS.)
Fourth Hutton Symposium. The origin of granites and related rocks.
2001. Geol. Soc. Amer. Spec. Paper 350; 321 pp. numerous fig./phot. Collection of 23 papers (contents available on request). Paperback, as new, 4to.
History of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.
1937, Geological Society of America, Special Paper 6; 159 pp. 31 fig. 20 plts. 1 fold. & col. geol. map. Orig. wrps. libr. stamp, very good.
1. The Appalachian orogen: A brief summary - Robert D. Hatcher Jr. 1
2. Review of the Proterozoic evolution of the
3. Comparative analysis of the geological evolution of the northern and southern Appalachian orogen: Late Ordovician–Permian - James P. Hibbard, Cees R. van Staal, and Douglas W. Rankin 51
4. The Laurentian margin of northeastern
5. Magmatism in the
6. Orogenic curvature in the northern Taconic allochthon and its relation to footwall geometry - Jean M. Crespi, H. Ray Underwood, and Yu-Chang Chan 111
7. The Rivière-des-Plante ultramafic Complex, southern
Québec: Stratigraphy, structure, and implications for the
8. The tectono-thermal evolution of the
9. Evidence for an orogen-parallel, normal-sense shear
zone around the
10. The tectono-stratigraphic framework and evolution
11. High-precision U-Pb zircon dates for Ediacaran
granitoid rocks in
12. Lessons from the foreland basin: Northern Appalachian basin perspectives on the Acadian orogeny - Charles A. Ver Straeten 251
13. Geochemistry and origin of Neoproterozoic
ironstone deposits in the
14. Tectonic, magmatic, and metamorphic history of the New Jersey Highlands: New insights from SHRIMP U-Pb geochronology - Richard A. Volkert, John N. Aleinikoff, and C. Mark Fanning 307
15. Lithochemistry of the Lower Paleozoic Goldenville
and Halifax groups, southwestern
16. Middle Cambrian to Ordovician arc-backarc
development on the leading edge of
17. Stratigraphy and geochemistry of the Catoctin volcanics: Implications for mantle evolution during the breakup of Rodinia - Robert L. Badger, Kyle T. Ashley, and Brian L. Cousens 397
18. Orphans of the far-traveled Pulaski thrust sheet: Exotic detached duplexes and their implications for original fold-and-thrust geometry - Mervin J. Bartholomew and Sharon E. Lewis 417
19. The Alleghanian deformational sequence at the foreland junction of the Central and Southern Appalachians - Mervin J. Bartholomew and Amy E. Whitaker 431
20. A model for Iapetan rifting of Laurentia based on Neoproterozoic dikes and related rocks - William C. Burton and Scott Southworth 455
21. Temporal and spatial changes in deformation conditions during the formation of the Central Appalachian fold-and-thrust belt: Evidence from joints, vein mineral paragenesis, and fluid inclusions - Mark A. Evans 477
22. Crustal fluid evolution during deformation,
uplift, and exhumation of the southeastern
23. Extensional structures of the Alabama Promontory and Black Warrior foreland basin: Styles and relationship to the Appalachian fold-thrust belt - Richard H. Groshong Jr., W. Brown Hawkins Jr., Jack C. Pashin, and Dennis L. Harry 579
24. Alleghanian plutonism in the
25. Ordovician volcanic-arc terrane in the Central Appalachian Piedmont of Maryland and Virginia: SHRIMP U-Pb geochronology, field relations, and tectonic significance - J. Wright Horton Jr., John N. Aleinikoff, Avery Ala Drake Jr. et al. 621
26. Detrital zircon geochronology and provenance of southern Appalachian Blue Ridge and Inner Piedmont crystalline terranes - Arthur J. Merschat, Robert D. Hatcher Jr., Brendan R. Bream, Calvin F. Miller, Heather E. Byars et al. 661
27. Three tectonothermal pulses recorded in eclogite
and amphibolite of the
28. Geochemical and geochronological evidence for Devonian magmatism revealed in the Maidens gneiss, Goochland terrane, Virginia - Brent E. Owens, Robert Buchwaldt, and Catherine R. Shirvell 725
29. Depositional and tectonic setting of the
Neoproterozoic–early Paleozoic rocks of the Virgilina sequence and Albemarle
30. S and Z buckle folds as shear-sense indicators in the ductile realm: Field examples from the Grenville Province of Ontario and the Appalachians of South Carolina - Walfried M. Schwerdtner, Sheng J. Lu, and Daniel Landa 773
31. Mesoproterozoic magmatism and deformation in the northern Blue Ridge, Virginia and Maryland: Application of SHRIMP U-Pb geochronology and integrated field studies in the definition of Grenvillian tectonic history - Scott Southworth, John N. Aleinikoff, Richard P. Tollo, Christopher M. Bailey, William C. Burton, Paul C. Hackley, and C. Mark Fanning 795
32. Geologic history of the Pine Mountain window, Alabama and Georgia: Insights from a new geologic map and U-Pb isotopic dates - M.G. Steltenpohl, R.D. Hatcher Jr., P.A. Mueller, A.L. Heatherington, and J.L. Wooden 837
33. Thermomagmatic evolution of Mesoproterozoic crust in the Blue Ridge of SW Virginia and NW North Carolina: Evidence from U-Pb geochronology and zircon geothermometry - Richard P. Tollo, John N. Aleinikoff et al. 859
34. Interactions between the southern Appalachian–Ouachita orogenic belt and basement faults in the orogenic footwall and foreland - William A. Thomas 897
35. Heterogeneous wrench-dominated transpression in
the deep crust recorded by the
36. Southern Appalachian Laurentian margin initial drift-facies sequences: Implications for margin evolution - James F. Tull, David T. Allison, Stephen E. Whiting, and Nick L. John
1. Geological research and mapping in the Caledonian orogen of East Greenland, 70°N–82°N - Niels Henriksen and A.K. Higgins
2. Architecture and evolution of the East Greenland Caledonides—An introduction - A.K. Higgins and A. Graham Leslie
3. Polyorogenic history of the East Greenland Caledonides - Feiko Kalsbeek, Kristine Thrane, A.K. Higgins, Hans F. Jepsen, A. Graham Leslie, Allen P. Nutman, and Robert Frei
4. Paleoproterozoic and Mesoproterozoic sedimentary and volcanic successions in the northern parts of the East Greenland Caledonian orogen and its foreland - John D. Collinson, Feiko Kalsbeek, Hans F. Jepsen, Stig A.S. Pedersen, and Brian G.J. Upton
5. Neoproterozoic sedimentary basins with glacigenic deposits of the East Greenland Caledonides - Martin Sønderholm, Kasper S. Frederiksen, M. Paul Smith, and Henrik Tirsgaard
6. Cambrian–Silurian development of the
Laurentian margin of the
7. Foreland-propagating Caledonian thrust
8. Caledonian metamorphic patterns in
9. Granites and granites in the East Greenland Caledonides - Feiko Kalsbeek, A.K. Higgins, Hans F. Jepsen, Robert Frei, and Allen P. Nutman
10. Geometry, kinematics, and timing of extensional faulting in the Greenland Caledonides—A synthesis - Jane A. Gilotti and William C. McClelland
11. The Devonian basin in East Greenland—Review of basin evolution and vertebrate assemblages - Poul-Henrik Larsen, Henrik Olsen, and Jennifer A. Clack
12. Mineral occurrences in central
13. Laurentian margin evolution and the
Caledonian orogeny—A template for
14. Caledonian orogen of
1. The secular evolution of plate tectonics and the continental crust: An outline - J.F. Dewey 1
2. Crustal recycling at modern subduction zones applied to the past—Issues of growth and preservation of continental basement crust, mantle geochemistry, and supercontinent reconstruction - D.W. Scholl and R. von Huene 9
3. Crustal recycling in the Appalachian foreland - W.A. Thomas and T.P. Becker 33
4. Diagnostic features and processes in the construction and evolution of Oman-, Zagros-, Himalayan-, Karakoram-, and Tibetan-type orogenic belts - M.P. Searle 41
5. Continental growth and recycling by accretion of deformed turbidite fans and remnant ocean basins: Examples from Neoproterozoic and Phanerozoic - D.R. Gray, D.A. Foster, R. Maas, C.V. Spaggiari, R.T. Gregory, B. Goscombe, and K.H. Hoffmann 63
6. Pure shear dominated high-strain zones in basement terranes - C.M. Bailey, L.E. Polvi, and A.M. Forte 93
7. Scale independence of décollement thrusting - J.H. McBride, A.J.M. Pugin, and R.D. Hatcher Jr. 109
8. The Southern
9. Accretionary orogens in space and time - K.C. Condie 145
10. Petrotectonics, climate, crustal thickness, and evolution of geologically young orogenic belts - W.G. Ernst 159
11. Accretionary growth and crust formation in the Central Asian Orogenic Belt and comparison with the Arabian-Nubian Shield - A. Kröner, B.F. Windley, G. Badarch, O. Tomurtogoo, et al. 181
12. Mid-crustal Late Cretaceous metamorphism in the Nason terrane, Cascades crystalline core, Washington, USA: Implications for tectonic models - H.H. Stowell, G.R. Bulman, C.A. Zuluaga, D.K. Tinkham, R.B. Miller, and E. Stein 211
13. Earth’s first two billion years—The era of internally mobile crust - W.B. Hamilton 233
14. Proterozoic accretionary belts in the Amazonian Craton - U.G. Cordani and W. Teixeira 297
15. Precambrian accretionary history and Phanerozoic structures—A
unified explanation for the tectonic architecture of the
16. Precambrian blocks and orogen boundaries in the north-central
17. Variations in lithospheric structure across the margin of Baltica in Central Europe and the role of the Variscan and Carpathian orogenies - M. Grad, A. Guterch, G.R. Keller, and POLONAISE’97 and CELEBRATION 2000 Working Groups 341
18. The Uppermost Allochthon in the Scandinavian Caledonides: From a Laurentian ancestry through Taconian orogeny to Scandian crustal growth on Baltica - D. Roberts, Ø. Nordgulen, and V. Melezhik 357
19. Gondwana-derived terranes in the northern Hellenides - F. Himmerkus, B. Anders, T. Reischmann, and D. Kostopoulos 379
20. Variscan thrust nappes, detachments, and strike-slip faults in the French Massif Central: Interpretation of the lineations - P. Matte 391
21. Space and time in the tectonic evolution of the northwestern Iberian Massif: Implications for the comprehension of the Variscan belt - J.R. Martínez Catalán, R. Arenas, F. Díaz García, P. González Cuadra et al. 403
22. Paleozoic ophiolites in the Variscan suture of
23. Geochemistry of two associated ophiolites from the Cabo Ortegal Complex (Variscan Belt of NW Spain) - S. Sánchez Martínez, R. Arenas, P. Andonaegui, J.R. Martínez Catalán, and J.A. Pearce 445
24. U-Pb chronometry of polymetamorphic high-pressure granulites: An example from the allochthonous terranes of the NW Iberian Variscan Belt - J. Fernández-Suárez, R. Arenas, J. Abati, J.R. Martínez Catalán, M.J. Whitehouse, and T.E. Jeffries 469
25. Flexural to broken foreland basin evolution as a result of Variscan
collisional events in northwestern
26. The Notre Dame arc and the Taconic orogeny in
27. The Cat Square terrane: Possible Siluro-Devonian remnant ocean basin in the Inner Piedmont, southern Appalachians, USA - A.J. Merschat and R.D. Hatcher Jr. 553
28. Rifted-margin architecture, cover stratigraphy, and structure of basement culminations, frontal Appalachian Blue Ridge, Georgia, USA - J.F. Tull 567
29. Tectonic map of the southern and central
Sengör, A.M.C. - The large-wavelength deformations of the lithosphere. Materials for a history of the evolution of thought from the earliest times to plate tectonics. - 2003. Geological Society of America, Memoir 196; 347 pp., 141 fig./phot., incl. 3 large fold. plates in pocket. Orig. cloth, gilt, dustjacket, very good, 4to. € 30
Stratigraphic, paleontologic, and paleoenvironmental analysis of the Upper Cretaceous rocks of Cimarron County, northwestern Oklahoma.
1977. Geological Society of America, Memoir 149; 150 pp. 12 fig. 12 plts. w. fossils, microfiches in pocket. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on first endpaper only.
ENOS, P. & R.D. PERKINS
Quaternary sedimentation in south Florida.
1977, Geological Society of America, Memoir 147; 198 pp. 70 fig./phot. 19 fold. plts. in pocket, many col. Orig. wrps. cloth cassette, gilt, libr. stamp on title page.
HAYS, J.D. (ED.)
Geological investigations of the North Pacific.
1970. Geological Society of America, Memoir 126; 323 pp. many figs./plts. (incl. fold-outs). Orig. cloth, dustjacket, minor damage to dustjacket, otherwise very good.
LARSEN, L.H. ET AL. (EDS.)
Igneous and metamorphic geology. A volume in honor of Arie Poldervaart.
1969. Geological Society of America, Memoir 115; 561 pp. numerous fig./phot./plts. Collection of 19 papers. Orig. cloth, libr. stamp on first endpaper, very good.
Upper Cretaceous stratigraphy of the western Gulf Coast area of México, Texas, and Arkansas.
1969. Geological Society of America, Memoir 111; 139 pp. 9 fold. plts. in pocket. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on title page.
LOEBLICH, A.R. ET AL.
Annotated index of fossil and recent silicoflagellates and ebridians with descriptions and illustrations of validly proposed taxa.
1968. Geological Society of America, Memoir 106; 319 pp. 21 fig. 53 plts. Orig. cloth, dustjacket, in excellent condition.
Type species of Paleozoic nuculoid bivalve genera.
1968, Geological Society of America, Memoir 105; 143 pp. 36 plts. Orig. cloth, gilt, dj. libr. stamp on first endpaper and dustjacket, very good.
CLARK, D.L. & R.L. ETHINGTON
Conodonts and zonation of the Upper Devonian in the Great Basin.
1967, Geological Society of America, Memoir 103; 94 pp. 11 fig. 9 plts. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on first endpaper.
Geology of the Alaska Peninsula - island arc and continental margin. Parts 1-3.
1965, Geological Society of America Memoir 99; 250 pp. 28 fig. 8 plts. 3 fold. & col. maps in separate cassette. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on first endpaper.
Faunas and stratigraphy of the Snowy Range Formation (Upper Cambrian) in southwestern Montana and northwestern Wyoming.
1965. Geological Society of America, Memoir 96; 171 pp. 1 fig. 4 fold. plts. in pocket, 11 photoplts. incl. fossils (Mainly trilobites and brachiopods. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on first endpaper only, very good.
Downie, C. & W.A.S. Sarjeant - Bibliography and index of fossil dinoflagellates and acritarchs. - 1964. Geological Society of America, Memoir 94; 180 pp., 1 fold-out plt. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on first endpaper, very good. € 12
Late Eocene zoogeography of the eastern Gulf Coast region.
1963, Geological Society of America, Memoir 91; 113 pp. 34 fig. 3 plts. h.t. (with bryozoans). Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on first endpaper only.
Romer, A.S. et al.
Bibliography of fossil vertebrates exclusive of North America 1509-1927, Vol. 1 & 2.
1962. Geological Society of America, Memoir 87; lxxxx, 722+773 pp. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on first endpaper only, very good.
Stillwater igneous complex, Montana. A quantitative mineralogical study.
1960. Geological Society of America, Memoir 80; 230 pp. 42 fig. 12 plts. (some fold. in pocket). Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on first endpaper only, very good.
GRIGGS, D. & J. HANDIN (EDS.)
Rock deformation (A symposium).
1960. Geological Society of America, Memoir 79; 382 pp. numerous fig./phot./plts. Collection of 13 longer papers. Orig. cloth, very good.
Relation of ore deposition to doming in the North American Cordillera.
1960. Geological Society of America, Memoir 77; 117 pp. 34 fig. 2 fold-out plts. Orig. cloth. libr. stamp on first endpaper only, bindings a little shaky.
TUTTLE, O.F. & N.L. BOWEN
Origin of granite in the light of experimental studies in the system NaAlSi3O8-KALSi3O8-SiO2-H2O.
1958, repr. 1960. Geol. Soc. Am. Mem 74; 153 pp. 67 fig. 6 plts. Orig. cloth.
FYFE, W.S. ET AL.
Metamorphic reactions and metamorphic facies.
1958. Geological Society of America, Memoir 73; 259 pp. 108 fig. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on first endpaper only, very good.
Cooper, W.S. - Coastal sand dunes of Oregon and Washington. - 1958. Geological Society of America, Memoir 72; 169 pp., 12 fig., 6 fold-out plts. with maps, 16 photoplts. h.t. Orig. cloth, gilt, very good. € 22
Anderson, F.M. - Upper Cretaceous of the Pacific coast. - 1958. Geological Society of America, Memoir 71; 378 pp., 3 fig., 75 plts. h.t., with molluscs, mostly ammonites. Orig. cloth, gilt, very good. € 30
Galloway, J.J. & H.V. Kaska - Genus Pentremites and its species. - 1957. Geological Society of America, Memoir 69; 1034 pp., 5 fig., 13 plts. h.t. Orig. cloth, gilt, very good. € 15
HEDGPETH, J.W. & LADD, H.S. (EDS.)
Treatise on Marine Ecology and Paleoecology. Vol 1. Ecology, Vol. 2 Paleoecology.
1957. Geological Society of America, Memoir 67; 1296+1077 pp. numerous fig./phot./plts. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on endpaper. [single issues available also at EUR 35].
WANLESS, H.R. ET AL.
Paleozoic and Mesozoic rocks of Gros Ventre, Teton, Hoback, and Snake River Ranges, Wyoming.
1955, Geological Society of America, Memoir 63; 90 pp. 6 fig. 13 photoplts. h.t. plts. 14-23 fold. in pocket. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on first endpaper.
MILLER, A.K. ET AL.
Ordovician cephalopod fauna of Baffin Island.
1954. Geological Society of America, Memoir 62; 234 pp. 20 fig. 63 plts. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on first endpaper.
sold Whittington, H.B. & W.R. Evitt - Silicified Middle Ordovician trilobites. [from Virginia] - 1953. Geological Society of America, Memoir 59; 137 pp., 27 fig., 33 plts. h.t. Orig. cloth, gilt, very good. € 28
Williams, A. - North American and European stropheodontids: their morphology and systematics. - 1953. Geological Society of America, Memoir 56; 67 pp., 4 fig., 13 plts. h.t. Orig. cloth, gilt, very good. € 16
Cooper, B.N. - Trilobites from the Lower Champlainian formations of the Appalachian Valley. - 1953. Geological Society of America, Memoir 55; 69 pp., 2 fig., 19 plts. h.t., with molluscs, mostly ammonites. Orig. cloth, gilt, very good. € 15
Petrunkevitch, A - Paleozoic and Mesozoic Arachnida of Europe. - 1953. Geological Society of America, Memoir 53; 128 pp., 58 plts. h.t. Orig. cloth, gilt, very good. € 25
sold BUCHER, W.H.
Geologic structure and orogenic history of Venezuela.
1952. Geological Society of America, Memoir 49; 113 pp. 5 fig. Orig. cloth. libr. stamp on first endpaper only.
KAY, M. 1951, Repr. - North American geosynclines. - 1955, Geological Society of America, Memoir 48; 143 pp. 20 fig. 16 plts. (fold. maps & sections). Orig. cloth. € 15
Wang, Y. - Maquoketa Brachiopoda of Iowa. - 1949. Geological Society of America, Memoir 42; 55 pp., 12 plts. h.t. Orig. cloth, gilt, very good. € 15
Miller, A.K. & W. Youngquist - American Permian nautiloids. - 1949, Geol. Soc. Am. Mem. 41; 218 pp. 39 fig. 59 plts. h.t. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on first endpaper. € 32
Stumm, E.C. - Revision of the families and genera of the Devonian tetracorals. - 1949. Geological Society of America, Memoir 40; 92 pp., 25 plts. h.t. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on first endpaper, very good. € 20
Longwell, C.R. (ed.) - Sedimentary facies in geologic history. - 1949, repr. 1950. Geological Society of America, Memoir 39; 171 pp. many figs. 5 photoplts. Orig. cloth, lg8vo. € 15
Camp, C.L. et al. - Bibliography of fossil vertebrates 1939-1943, 1944-1948, 1949-1953, 1954-1958, 1959-1963, 1964-1968, 1969-1972. [7 vols.] - 1949-1973. Geological Society of America, Memoirs 37, 57, 84, 92, 117, 134 & 141; 372+466+532+647+644+1119+733 pp. Orig. cloth, lg8vo. € 85
Teichert, C. - Permian crinoid Calceolispongia. - 1949, Geological Society of America, Memoir 34; 132 pp. 24 fig. 25 plts. h.t. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on endpaper. € 24
Stark, J.T. et al. - Geology and origin of South Park, Colorado. - 1949. Geological Society of America, Memoir 33; 188 pp., 22 fig., 15 plts. h.t., 3 fold. plts.in pocket, incl. col. geol. map. Orig. cloth, gilt, very good. € 22
Gilluly, J. - Origin of granite. - 1948. [Conf. Meet. GSA in Ottawa, Dec. 30, 1947]. Geological Society of America, Memoir 28; 139 pp. figs. plts. Orig. cloth, libr. stamp on first endpaper only. € 15
Branson, C.C. - Bibliographic index of Permian invertebrates. - 1948, Geological Society of America, Memoir 26; 1049 pp. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on first endpaper. € 35
Edinger, T. - Evolution of the horse brain. - 1948, Geological Society of America, Memoir 25; 177 pp. 24 fig. 4 plts. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on first endpaper. € 22
Miller, A.K. - Tertiary nautiloids of the Americas. - 1947. Geological Society of America, Memoir 23; 234 pp., 30 fig., 100 plts. h.t., with molluscs, mostly ammonites. Orig. cloth, gilt, very good. € 30
Jaggar, T.A. - Origin and development of craters. - 1947. Geological Society of America, Memoir 21; 508 pp., 14 fig., 73 photoplts. h.t., 14 fold. plts. in pocket. Orig. cloth, gilt, very good. € 30
Cloos, E. - Lineation. A critical review. - 1946, reprint 1952. Geological Society of America, Memoir 18; 122 pp. 15 fig. 10 plts, some fold. Orig. cloth, lg8vo. € 16
Anderson, Robert van Vleck - Geology of the coastal Atlas of western Algeria. - 1936. Geological Society of America Memoir 4; 450 pp. 2 fig. 17 photoplts. h.t. 1 fold. plt with sections and fold. & col. geol. map in pocket. Orig. cloth, gilt, very good. € 20
Ruedemann, R. - Paleozoic plankton of North America. - 1934, Geological Society of America, Memoir 2; 141 pp. 6 fig. 26 plts. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on endpaper, very good. € 22
Schuster, C. & C.O. Dunbar - Stratigraphy of Western Newfoundland. - 1934, Geological Society of America, Memoir 1; 123 pp. 8 fig. 11 photoplts. Orig. cloth, gilt, libr. stamp on endpaper, very good. € 22